Thursday 17 June 2010

Something Old, Something Borrowed...


I recently realized that I am in love with granola. Not just any old granola - this granola is healthy, delicious, and one that I make by hand. Now, don't think I'm hippie dippy, but this stuff is really the best! I have it every morning on yogurt and it's fabulous. It's sweet (not too sweet), crunchy, and flavorful. However, I can't take the credit for creating this granola because the recipe comes straight out of one of my favorite cook books: The Family Chef by Jewels & Jill Elmore. The only tweaks I might add are that the recipe says you can use extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil - go with the grapeseed! I say this because it's such a light oil that it doesn't make the granola soggy. Also, cook the granola until it is golden, almost burned looking. If it's still pale and light when you take it out, put it right back in. Lastly, the edges will burn if it isn't shaken around/stirred well about every ten minutes or so. Convection ovens cook a lot faster so be careful if you're using one of those. Check it at least three times. It sounds like work, but think of it this way....you check the granola and go back to reading your book/ magazine/ watching TiVo! See, it's easy ;)



5 cups rolled oats (Quaker)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milled flaxseed
1/2 cup sesame seeds (white is fine but black seeds stand out better!)
2 cups whole raw unsalted almonds
2 cups whole raw pecans
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup grapeseed oil
3/4 cup honey

Preheat oven to 325F and line two large sheet trays with parchment paper. In a large bowl stir together all the dry ingredients. Heat the oil and honey in a small saucepan over medium low heat until the honey is warm and runny. Stir the oil and honey mixture into the dry ingredients using a wooden spoon. Divide the mixture evenly between the two sheet trays and spread evenly. Bake for 35-45 minutes and stir occasionally so the edges don't burn. Remove from the oven and let cool on trays. Store in airtight containers in the pantry.
It will last about 3 weeks like this. But, if you're like me, it'll be gone before then!


Another yummy recipe that's worth sharing is one that I made up myself the other night for dinner. I was making some pasta sauce to use up some tomatoes that were about to be too ripe. I had an epiphany! I used some of the Cholula hot sauce (garlic/chili) that I used the other night in my shrimp tacos. Man, it's so good I will make it all the time now! Here's the recipe:


2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
5 ripe vine tomatoes (seeds removed)
a splash of cream (about 1 TBS)
1/2 a head of garlic finely diced (2-3 TBS)
4 good shakes of Cholula hot sauce (garlic/chili)
2 good cranks of the peppercorn grinder
a light sprinkle of Maldon sea salt

First, get your olive oil heated up on medium heat in a medium size sauce/fry pan. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and hot sauce. Let that cook about 10 minutes. It should be simmering, not boiling. Add the cream and let simmer five more minutes. This goes great over whole wheat pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment